Investing in the United States from Abroad

If you are a citizen from a country outside of the US and would like to move to the US, there are a number of programs available to you as an investor which could enable you to do just that. Among your options are the EB 5 program, the E-2 Visa, and the L-1 Visa.

            To come to America with an EB-5 Visa, you must invest money and create jobs in the United States. To acquire an EB-5 Visa, you do not need to own the business, and you can invest with other investors. The EB-5 Visa requires the immigrant to make a capital investment of either $500,000 or $1,000,000 in a new commercial enterprise in the US. (The amount depends on whether the investment is in a Targeted Employment Area [TEA] or not). The business invested in must also create or sustain 10 full time jobs within 2 years. With an EB-5 Visa, you can apply for permanent residency. 10,000 EB-5 Visas are issued a year.

            Another option for foreign investors wishing to invest in the US is an E-2 Visa. With an E-2 Visa, you can enter the United States by investing in the start-up of a business. The investment must be large enough to start up and operate the business. The E-2 Visa is only available to treaty countries. The E-2 Visa is a non-immigrant Visa, and after 2 years the holder must either renew their visa or change their status.

            The L-1 Visa enables foreign investors with companies abroad to open businesses in America. L-1 Visas are also offered to employees of the company who worked for the company for at least 1 year within the 3 years prior to moving. The L-1 Visa is also a non-immigrant visa and is only allowed for 3 months to 7 years depending on the country you are immigrating from. There are two sub-categories of the L-1 Visa. The L-1A Visa is for executives and managers, while the L-1B Visa is for workers with specialized knowledge.


For those wishing to own a vacation home in the US, but not stay permanently, the process is not as complicated.  British citizens can stay in the US with a passport and Visa Waiver for up to 90 days. If you wish to stay in the US between 90 days and 6 months, a B-1 or B-2 Visa must be acquired. B-1 Visas are for those traveling on business and B-2 visas are for anyone coming to the US for tourism or pleasure.

 Visulate is a Real Estate Brokerage based in Merritt Island Florida. We have access to information on properties and businesses throughout Florida, we can also put you in touch with an attorney who has expertise in both immigration and business law. So contact us if you would like help .